The exposition is located in a small room on the ground floor of the Town hall between the entrance to the Monkish backyard and a large hall with an exposition of Gothic art. It was officially opened in 1991 and its core is formed by the late Baroque interior of the pharmacy from Elizabethan Monastery in Kadaň.
The Elizabethan Monastery in the city was built between 1748 and 1753 by the Baroque architect J.K. Kosch. Its founder was the Countess Caroline von Schönkirch who owned the manor in Třebčice. Claims for the initiation of construction of the monastery were high. The countess had to pay in cash and she had to promise to purchase all material needed for furnishing the monastery only in the city. She also was obliged not to sell the medicines and impoverish the sawbones and healers in Kadaň. Originally the monastery was built for 5 nuns. It included a hospital equipped with six beds and the pharmacy which was fully in line with the hospital services as the main mission of the Elizabethan order. The Elizabethan hospital in Kadaň was steadily developing and in the first half of the 20th century its capacity increased to 80 up to 120 beds. The hospital was specialized in treatment of infectious pulmonary tuberculosis.
After the abolition of the pulmonary clinic in 1966 the late Baroque monastery pharmacy was transferred as a gift from the home of nuns to the museum in Chomutov. The pharmacy contained 672 items, but its equipment was extensively damaged and in the 80th of the 20th century it had to be expertly repaired in the museum's conservational workshop.