eChomutov - Stálé expozice
You are here: Culture


The exposition is located in a small room on the ground floor of the Town hall between the entrance to the Monkish backyard and a large hall with an exposition of Gothic art. It was officially opened in 1991 and its core is formed by the late Baroque interior of the pharmacy from Elizabethan Monastery in Kadaň.

The Elizabethan Monastery in the city was built between 1748 and 1753 by the Baroque architect J.K. Kosch. Its founder was the Countess Caroline von Schönkirch who owned the manor in Třebčice. Claims for the initiation of construction of the monastery were high. The countess had to pay in cash and she had to promise to purchase all material needed for furnishing the monastery only in the city. She also was obliged not to sell the medicines and impoverish the sawbones and healers in Kadaň. Originally the monastery was built for 5 nuns. It included a hospital equipped with six beds and the pharmacy which was fully in line with the hospital services as the main mission of the Elizabethan order. The Elizabethan hospital in Kadaň was steadily developing and in the first half of the 20th century its capacity increased to 80 up to 120 beds. The hospital was specialized in treatment of infectious pulmonary tuberculosis.

After the abolition of the pulmonary clinic in 1966 the late Baroque monastery pharmacy was transferred as a gift from the home of nuns to the museum in Chomutov. The pharmacy contained 672 items, but its equipment was extensively damaged and in the 80th of the 20th century it had to be expertly repaired in the museum's conservational workshop.


The larger part of the exposition is located in one of the most impressive spaces of the Town Hall – Mnišský dvoreček (Monkish backyard). Several items of the exposition can be found in the equally impressive atmosphere of the early Gothic church of St. Catherine which is also a part of the Town Hall. The Monkish backyard is located on the first floor and it concerns a square space in the open air surrounded by walls of the remaining floors on which we can observe the individual stages of turbulent development of the construction from its origination up to the conversion into a castle during the reign of family of Veitmils (1468 - 1560), Renaissance reconstruction by the family of Lobkowicz (1571-1594) up to the modern conversion into the town hall. The Monkish backyard is undoubtedly one of the most romantic corners of the city of Chomutov, artfully concealed in the very historical centre. The current appearance of exposition in the Monkish backyard still retains the original arrangement which it obtained at its origination within the opening of the museum in 1923.


The exposition is situated in the late Gothic rooms of the ground floor of the City Hall (the former castle) on the May 1 square in two large halls at the entrance to the museum. The elevator ensures the access of the handicapped persons from the stairway at the main entrance to the building of the City Hall. The current design of the exposition was created in 1988 and since then it has undergone only minor modifications.

The whole exposition constitutes a collection of valuable wooden sculptures and altarpieces which covers the period from the year 1400 to the last quarter of the 16th century. They come from Chomutov and Kadaň regions, mostly from the medieval churches and monasteries. The exposition contains the whole museum collection of Gothic sculptures and paintings and most of the collection of the renaissance sculpture and painting.


The exposition View into prehistoric times of Chomutov region presents the prehistoric development in Chomutov region from the Neolithic period to Roman times (the 6th millennium BC - 400 AD). This exposition is based on the results of extensive archaeological research of sites the importance of which goes beyond the borders of the region.

The neolithic and eneolithic periods are represented by the findings from Vikletice where the archaeological research was carried out in the years between 1961 and 1967 during the construction Nechranice dam and one of the largest cemeteries of the eneolithic culture with the corded ceramics in the Europe was discovered. Over 160 graves which were explored provide a rich material of findings. The exposition shows the wide repertoire of the material culture of these early prehistoric periods and one reconstructed grave with the corded ceramics is contained in the exposition.


The geological exposition is located on the ground floor of the House J. Popel of Lobkowicz in a former Jesuit monastery (Palacký Street No. 86) and is easily accessible also to the disabled persons.

The exposition is focused exclusively on the Ore Mountains, especially on the Czech part of the mountains, but some samples and locations come from the German side.

Visitors can learn details on the geological structure of the Ore Mountains. In the showcases there are exhibited typical and characteristic rocks and minerals in the total number of 196 exhibits which represent 55 major geological localities of the Ore Mountains.

Svět Krušných hor

Expozice Svět Krušných hor je umístěna v areálu Domu Jiřího Popela v prvním patře budovy. Je přístupná po schodišti z přízemí a díky novému schodolezu je již také přístupná handicapovaným návštěvníkům.

O Chomutově

Logo města Chomutova
Chomutov je ideálním místem pro trávení dovolené. Turistům nabízí adrenalin i odpočinek na Kamencovém jezeře, rodinám poznání v Podkrušnohorském zooparku, cyklistům a milovníkům in-line stezku Bezručovo údolím. Okolí Chomutova je plné památek a přírodních krás.

City information centre

znak ticU Městských mlýnů 5885
430 01  Chomutov

Call for free:

800 100 473


NUTS2 Severozápad Evropská unie
Supported from the European Regional Development Fund
Regional Operational programme of North-West Cohesion Region
„Vision ends up being a dream“